Below is a report on mandates to base residents and workers at Misawa Air Base in northern Japan. These efforts are underway to ensure conservation of energy in the wake of the earthquake and tsunami which hit Japan with devastating blows.
by AFN Misawa (Misawa Air Base, Japan) on Monday, March 14, 2011 at 5:08am
Effective Immediately, the following energy savings requirements are in effect at Misawa AB:
- Turn off all lighting in all rooms with windows during daylight hours. Only two rooms per dwelling should be lit during night hours.
- Personal showers will be limited to 5 minutes.
- Wash is limited to one load per day per household and washed in cold water only. Hang as many items to dry as possible.
- Only one media item should be utilized at any given time – one computer, one TV, etc.
- Minimize usage of stovetop and oven preparation. Focus on microwave cooking.
- Unplug all unnecessary plug loads – lists of phantom power items are available on the internet.
- If you have a thermostat-controlled dwelling, set temperature to 18C/64F.
If power is lost in your area, secure power to all loads known to have been powered when electricity was lost.
- Turn off all lighting in all rooms with windows during daylight hours. Maximize use of task lighting during night hours.
- Turn off all air compressors not in use.
- Unplug all non-essential loads including ALL refrigerators and ALL DRINK machines, photocopiers, printers, digital senders, fax machines and computer monitors.
- Turn off all parking lot lighting.
- Set internal building temperature to 18C/64F.
- Minimize security lighting.